Admin

History of Stew

Stewartstown Elementary

A one-room frame building served the community until about 1865, southwest of town. A larger two-story brick structure was erected in front of the one-room school and was used until the twentieth century. In 1923, a large two-story stucco school was erected to house grades one through twelve. In 1952, the last senior class graduated from Stewartstown High School.

oldschool

Plans for a combined school district were accepted and on December 9, 1950 ground breaking ceremonies were held. A new high school and elementary school were being erected. The new elementary school was built just north of the Stewartstown Borough limits. This building would house grades one through six for Hopewell Township, East Hopewell Township, Stewartstown Borough and Cross Roads Borough. This new elementary school was ready during the winter of 1952.

In 1989, the Stewartstown Elementary School was renovated and enlarged. Today it houses about 620 students.

source: Stewartstown Sesquicentennial Souvenir Program

Stewartstown Elementary through the years:

1953

1953

57_classroom

1957 classroom

19

circa 1970

circa 1970

1974

85

1985

1986

1986

1987

1987

********************************************

Breaking ground for the additions : 1980-1981

breakground constructionsouthconstructioncydoldplg